I’m calling this Italian sausage as it’s loosely based on recipes of the same sort of ingredients. Unlike most sausage recipes which start with 100% of sausage weight before specifying percentages (eg 80% meat, 9% water, 9% rusk, 2% seasoning), my recipes specify percentages based on the weight of meat you’re starting with. I think this is much easier to calculate for the home sausage maker!
* I started with 3.8kg of meat and used about 1g of chilli. I definitely should have used more!
Remember...Freeze the meat for half hour or so before mincing to ensure a cleaner grind.
- As outlined in the Basic Sausage Skills post
- Didn’t taste enough fennel. Not sure if this is because me seeds weren’t very fresh, or if it was because I didn’t use enough
- Definitely could have added more chilli. I was after a subtle heat that you don’t get immediately, which is almost the case here, but another gram or so would have been better
- Texture was ok, really on the border of being a bit crumbly, but just about got away with it. Juiciness also ok, lost a reasonable amount of fat in the oven. Still room for improvement on both fronts.
- For some reason, the test patty I did before stuffing bore no resemblance to the final sausage. It was flavoursome, juicy and held together perfectly.